Sunday, August 17, 2014

Creation versus Consumption (no, not the disease... or is it?)


Recently I tweeted about "weapons of mass creation" as well as wrote a post on unproven ways of creating creativity in your life. Now, I find myself wondering more and more about why as a society, global or otherwise, many of us are so focused on consumption. There are so many ways that I consume on a daily basis: email, Facebook, twitter, blog posts, podcasts, eggs and toast, marmalade, multi berry smoothies, etc.

And how much do I create on a daily basis? Well, other than a few tweets, posting a picture of my daughter on Facebook or a random email response to my mother-in-laws frantic message alerting me to the fact that there might be a gremlin in her computer deleting all her music from her computer, not much…

So, as of today, I have decided that I will give myself 15 (yes, just fifteen!) minutes in the morning to actually create something. What "real" creation means, to me at least, is sharing meaningful content that will spark someones imagination in some way. Whether it be a blogpost (this is day 1!), an actual written (or drawn) note to a loved one, an item of food prepared with my daughter, an inforgraphic that I've been mulling over for countless days, or a 5 minute podcast, I commit to these 15 minutes.



Oh, and please take a listen here on Innovation Hub, Secrets to Getting Smarter where Genevieve Gilson talks about many things including how getting regular exercise increases your brainpower and creativity - so, go take a walk/run before your #15minsofcreativity !

Are you ready to commit to #15minsofcreativity as well? What are you going to create in your life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment